Company: The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
Position: Vice President of Digital
The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences was founded in 1946; just one month after network television was born. It is a nonprofit organization devoted to the advancement of telecommunication arts and sciences and to fostering creative leadership in the telecommunication industry.
The Television Academy, the only major organization devoted to the television and broadband screen entertainment industry, is made up of 17,000 members, representing 29 professional peer groups, including performers, directors, producers, art directors and various other artisans, technicians and executives.
The Television Academy recognizes excellence among its peers through the awarding of an Emmy® statuette, culminating in the Primetime Emmy Awards telecast each fall.
The Emmy Awards show is broadcast live and attracts a global fan-base and viewers in the multi-millions.
In 2009, the Academy created its first consumer-facing web site – Emmys.com — dedicated to year-round promotion of the television industry with additional celebrity features (such as Red Carpet arrivals and Emmy winners’ speeches/interviews) and video archives of activities and panels taking place within the Television Academy.
Pushing further into its online consumer strategy, 2010 marked the debut of a comprehensive behind-the-scenes webcast, streamed live during the Primetime Emmy Awards. Multiple camera angles were made accessible on the site for users to move seamlessly through the backstage activities. Emmys.com also included a dynamic social media component. This webcast has evolved through 2011 and 2012 to become a robust, self-directed second screen experience that begins with the Red Carpet arrivals, and continues through the telecast, followed by coverage of to the press center and Governor’s Ball.
The Emmy is recognized worldwide and represents excellence within the television industry. The television industry is a multi-billion dollar global business that spawns millions more in associative value for hundreds of other businesses.
The Vice President of Digital Position:
Working out of the Television Academy’s offices in North Hollywood, CA and reporting to the COO, this position will be responsible for the editorial, operations and revenue of the Academy’s website, Emmys.com, and the strategy and content for the Academy’s social media platforms. He/She will oversee a small staff and will need to interact with resources from other departments including marketing, IT, membership, events, emmy Magazine and the Academy’s Board of Governors.
The merging of the television medium with the digital realm presents a larger opportunity to extend the television audience and reach.
The rapid adoption by consumers of social media applications, products and services that customize programming choices, share and enhance viewing experiences and build loyal fan bases has created an even greater opportunity: the Television Academy is firmly imprinting its brand by providing audiences with premium and exclusive digital content that promotes the Primetime Emmy Awards and provides a unique and personal insight into the television industry.
The Primetime Emmy Awards show is the signature event that drives a large revenue stream to the Television Academy and is the single largest outreach opportunity to its viewing public. Increased ratings year-over-year are essential for continued success.
Utilizing the digital platforms and social media to create a persistent presence for the Television Academy is intended to create increased fan interest in the wide variety of television content and draw viewers to the awards show.
In addition, the digital platforms and social media will be used to raise the profiles of other awards bestowed by the Television Academy (the Hall of Fame and Television Academy Honors) and the educational and historic preservation activities of the Television Academy Foundation. The creation of the consumer-facing website Emmys.com was designed for this purpose and has evolved to the point where a dedicated staff is now warranted.
The membership of the Academy is growing and demands more integrated solutions. Leveraging digital and mobile channels to better facilitate the needs of its 29 peer groups is also a pressing concern.
The Vice President of Digital Responsibilities:
- Establish an operational plan for management of the Academy’s digital properties in alignment with the digital strategy for the entire Academy and Emmy brand, measured in part by increased:
- viewership of the Primetime Emmy Awards show
- advertising and partnership revenue
- Traffic to the Academy’s digital properties and social media platforms.
- Membership engagement with digital tools
- Viewership of Foundation Content.
- Manage a phased approach to the integration of a Membership site (Emmys.tv) as well as the Academy’s Foundation sites (EmmyTVLegends.org, EmmyFoundation.org) and content into the public facing Emmys.com.
- Seek and drive new business and market opportunities
- Recruit and build a team over time.
- Keep Television Academy current on technology innovations affecting digital platforms.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT
- Determine product development opportunities based on increased revenue or industry standards.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of all digital platforms including analysis of digital and social media metrics.
- Ensure product delivers on operating plan hitting on key goals such as revenue, profitability, and user experience metrics.
- Leverage analytics to establish, interpret, and analyze critical digital KPI targets and take appropriate action in order to meet targets for campaign performance improvement.
- Increase traffic, page views, time on all digital platforms, social sharing, and build a loyal community that will visit the site regularly, engage and promote.
- Collaborate with Television Academy Marketing Staff to develop digital marketing strategies (e.g. SEM, social, etc.) to increase traffic, sync promotional strategies and ensure a consistent brand strategy.
- Collaborate with Television Academy Membership and Activities Staffs to drive events, educational content, benefits and other services into digital channels
- Collaborate with Television Academy Foundation Staff to drive events, archives and other relevant content into digital channels.
CONTENT AND PARTNERSHIPS
- Oversee and provide thought leadership to the development of digital content and partnership strategies to increase traffic and penetration of target customers and marketing partners.
- Cultivate the digital content programming strategy that keeps the Emmy brand timely, relevant and responsive to fast-moving news and trends with a goal of making the Academy’s digital platforms as the “go to” platforms for people who love and watch television.
- Identify potential set of key partnerships that drive both revenue and marketing objectives for the Academy’s digital platforms. Take part in negotiating partnership agreements and maintaining business relationships with these strategic partners.
ADVERTISING REVENUE GROWTH
- Oversee ad sales approach for all controlling sites and manage the revenue reporting from partner sites.
- Create a highly impactful presentation to present to advertisers and potential partners that fully leverages the status, global reach and appeal of the Emmy brand and its exclusive content across all digital platforms.
- Background in strong management and marketing of a branded consumer-focused, highly trafficked, multimedia website with a minimum 1MM or more monthly unique visitors.
- Success in building and increasing and sustaining all metrics of a website including traffic, uniques, page views, time on site, reach, SEO, click throughs, conversion rates, CPM, ROI, CPA, etc.
- Experience running a small web operations team necessary with emphasis on management and overall branded property versus technical. Working closely with product managers, developers, and designers.
- Ability to develop budgets and financial objectives by reviewing financial data.
- Strong background in understanding of how to use data to drive decisions, particularly Google Analytics
- Direct experience in business development capacity working with advertisers, content and distribution partners, 3rd party providers, services and other ad placement agencies as well as securing partnership deals with large and relevant websites.
- Solid understanding of the online advertising world.
- Strong knowledge of digital marketing and best practices.
- Requires high energy level and ability to sustain enthusiastic, optimistic approach. Strategic thinker, inventive, creative, dynamic, adaptive, collaborative, and flexible.
- Experience working with multiple partners utilizing strong diplomatic skills to drive consensus and drive approval for ongoing strategies needed. A high sensitivity to understanding what the Television Academy represents and imparts is needed to work effectively internally.
- High level creativity:
- Ability to generate new ideas and innovation with the ability to mentor these traits in others.
- Sound judgment and decision making abilities
- Proficient time management skills
- Takes initiative, self-directed and can work independently
- Experience in television or entertainment digital space a plus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in related field.
- College degree preferred.
- Relocation costs will not be paid.
- The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.
- Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com